Alfresco Layered Salad
30 minutes or fewer
Watercress, curly endive and escarole all have the spine to stand up to onion, fennel and oil-cured olives.
- 1 ¾ cups chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chopped dandelion greens
- 1 cup pitted, coarsely chopped, oil-cured olives
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 4 navel oranges, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup low-fat Swiss-style cheese or goat gouda cheese
- 1 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans
- 2 cups diced fennel
- 5 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup sherry vinegar
- 6 Tbs. chopped fresh mint
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- To make Salad: Layer ingredients in 3-quart, straight-sided glass bowl, starting with chickpeas, then in order spread one-third dandelion greens followed by all olives and onions. Top with another one-third greens and with half orange slices. Sprinkle cheese over oranges, and top with nuts and fennel. Cover salad with remaining oranges and greens.
- To make Dressing: Whisk dressing ingredients together until well blended. Drizzle over salad, and serve.
Many of the ingredients in this salad are wine-loving foods: Beans, greens, cheeses, nuts and oils. When pairing the salad with wine, focus on these foods but also consider the tartness of the oranges and the sherry vinegar. A slightly acidic, medium-body Chardonnay would pair nicely with the finished dish.