1 ⅔ cups (9 oz.) whole blanched almonds
1 ⅓ cups confectioners' sugar
3 ½-oz. pkg. almond paste
⅓ cup (2 to 3 large) egg whites
½ tsp. almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line several baking sheets with foil.
- Spread the almonds in a baking pan and toast in the oven, stirring occasionally, until the nuts begin to turn brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Let cool. Increase oven temperature to 350°F.
- In food processor, combine cooled almonds and sugar and process until almonds are ground to a powder, 1 to 2 minutes. With machine running, add almond paste through the feed tube, processing until mixture is smooth. Add egg whites and continue processing until mixture is well blended, about 1 minute.
- Transfer the mixture to a large heavy saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens slightly, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in almond extract. Let mixture cool 15 minutes or until slightly stiff but not firm.
- Drop batter by level tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies are just beginning to turn brown, 11 to 14 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand on foil until cool. Then carefully transfer them to wire racks to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.
Makes 30 cookies