Amaiz-ing Bread Pudding
Most healthful bread puddings use sliced whole wheat bread, but I thought it might be fun to experiment with a sweet cornbread instead. The cornbread used here is also ideal for strawberry (or other fruit) shortcakes, topped with Tofu Cream (November '98, p. 62).
Ingredient Set Name:
- Cornbread: Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan. In medium bowl, sift flour, cornmeal, salt and baking powder. In small bowl, mix oil, soy milk, maple syrup and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and mix just until blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until top is lightly golden brown, about 25 minutes. Set on wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, soak cranberries or cherries in enough water to cover for 20 minutes; drain.
- In food processor, combine tofu, canola oil, maple syrup, vanilla, salt, nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon, and process until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to medium bowl and add cranberries, crumbled cornbread and walnuts; mix well. Pour pudding into a greased 9-inch springform pan, cover lightly with a circle of wax paper. Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes, then remove side of pan.
- Slice pudding and serve with Lemon Glaze (November '98, p. 64) if desired.