Makes 14 breadsticks
Whole amaranth seeds give these breadsticks a nutty crunch. Serve them hot from the oven for the best flavor and texture.
- 1 cup amaranth flour
- ⅓ cup potato starch
- 3 Tbs. tapioca flour
- 3 Tbs. whole amaranth seeds
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 1 0.25-oz. pkg. quick-rise dry yeast granules
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- Chipotle chile powder for sprinkling
- Kosher salt for sprinkling, optional
1. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray. Stir together amaranth flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, amaranth seeds, sugar, yeast, xanthan gum, garlic powder, and salt in bowl. Stir in oil and 3/4 cup plus 1 Tbs. warm (110°F) water. Beat dough with electric mixer on high speed 2 minutes, or until smooth.
March 2010 p.44
2. Transfer dough to pastry bag fitted with 1/2-inch round tip (or large plastic bag with 1 corner snipped off). Pipe dough into 14 breadsticks. Cover with cloth, and let rise in warm spot 30 minutes, or until breadsticks have doubled in thickness.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Sprinkle breadsticks with chipotle chile powder and kosher salt, if using. Bake 20 minutes, or until dark golden brown all over and crisp on bottom. Serve immediately.