American BBQ Tacos
30 minutes or fewer
For authentic Southern flavor, top these tacos with prepared coleslaw instead of shredded lettuce.
- 1½ Tbs. ketchup
- 1 Tbs. vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp. honey
- ⅛ tsp. hot sauce, or more to taste
- 1½ Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup soy crumbles, such as Lightlife Gimme Lean
- 4 6-inch corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- 2 Tbs. chopped red onion
- ⅓ cup grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup shredded Romaine lettuce
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbs. pickle relish, optional
1. To make BBQ Sauce: Combine all ingredients in bowl.
2. To make Tacos: Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, and carrots, and cook 3 minutes, or until vegetables are softened, stirring halfway through. Add soy crumbles and 2 Tbs. BBQ Sauce. Cook 8 minutes, or until soy crumbles are browned.
3. Fill tortillas with soy crumble mixture. Top with red onion, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, and relish, if desired. Serve with BBQ Sauce.
May 2008 p.68