- 1 tsp. active dry yeast
- ¾ cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs. granulated sugar
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 4 Tbs. unsalted butter or margarine, cut into small pieces
1. Stir yeast into buttermilk until dissolved.
2. Combine flour, sugar and salt in large bowl. Using fingers, two knives or pastry blender, blend butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Pour buttermilk mixture into flour mixture, and stir until soft dough forms. If necessary, add more buttermilk to make dough hold together.
3. Lightly flour work surface and rolling pin. Knead dough 8 or 9 times, or until smooth. Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness, and cut into 3-inch circles.
4. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Transfer biscuits to it, cover with clean kitchen towel and let rise 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 400F.
5. Bake 12 to 14 minutes, or until biscuits are pale brown.November 2005