Apple Cider Doughnuts
Makes 18 mini doughnuts
30 minutes or fewer
You can make your own superfine sugar to dust doughnuts by pulsing granulated sugar in a food processor several times.
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground cloves
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 ½ tsp. egg replacer, such as Ener-G
- ⅓ cup soymilk
- 5 Tbs. apple butter or applesauce
- 4 Tbs. nonhydrogenated vegan margarine
- ½ cup superfine sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat doughnut pan with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and cloves in large bowl.
3. Bring cider to a boil in small saucepan. Boil 10 minutes, or until liquid is reduced to 1/3 cup; remove from heat. Whisk egg replacer with 2 Tbs. water in small bowl; stir this mixture into cider reduction. Add soymilk, apple butter, and margarine, stirring until margarine is melted. Cool.
4. Stir cider mixture into flour mixture.
5. Fill each doughnut mold half full with batter. Bake 12 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Roll hot doughnuts in superfine sugar.