Apple-Pear Tart with Cornmeal Crust
Serves 8 (One 10-inch Tart)
This rustic fruit tart, with cornmeal-based crust and lattice top, looks like dessert but is a perfect breakfast pastry. Good in winter made with a combination of tangy apples and sweet pears, it is also a winning dish in summertime with peaches and blackberries or blueberries. This tart tastes especially good with a dollop of crÃ¨me fraÃ®che on the side. For a fancier look, glaze the crust with an egg wash and a sprinkling of sugar before baking. Adapted from Mollie Katzens Sunlight Café.
- ½ cup fine cornmeal
- 2½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter
- 1 extra-large egg
- ⅓ cup plus 1 Tbs. heavy cream or half-and-half
- 2 red apples
- 1 green apple, preferably Granny Smith
- 1 pear, preferably Bosc or Anjou
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. grated lemon zest
- 1 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup fresh or frozen cranberries, or more as desired
- To make pastry: Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar and salt in food processor fitted with steel blade. Use sharp knife to cut butter into thin slices while still cold, then lay butter on top of dry ingredients in food processor. Pulse several times until butter is evenly distributed and mixture resembles coarse meal. Add egg and pulse once or twice until just incorporated, then pulse in enough cream to bring dough together. Remove dough from food processor and press together into one mass.
- Divide dough into 2 uneven pieces, about two-thirds and one-third. Form each into ball, and flatten each ball into thick disk. Place each disk between 2 sheets of wax paper, and roll until about 1/8 inch thick. Ease larger circle into 9- or 10-inch pie pan and trim edges. Cut smaller circle into strips about 1/2 inch wide.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- To make filling: Slice apples and pear thinly. Transfer to bowl and drizzle with lemon or lime juice and toss with grated lemon zest. Combine cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugars and salt in bowl, sprinkle onto fruit and toss to coat.
- Arrange fruit in crust so skins show, and sprinkle cranberries over top. Arrange dough strips on top in criss-cross pattern to form lattice topping.
- Place filled tart on baking tray and bake in lower half of oven about 40 minutes, or until light golden on top and around edges. Cool at least 15 minutes before slicing tart. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Beginning of the day, end of the day, beginning of the meal and end of the meal. All of these options suggest pouring and enjoying Champagne. Pop open a bottle of Moët & Chandon White Star.