Apple Sauerkraut Salad
Spicy, salty, tangy, and sweet, this salad
can be served as a side or used as a topping for brats, hot dogs, and sausages. Julienning the apples and onions
in the salad with a mandoline yields crisp but delicate threads that stand up to the weight of the sauerkraut.
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 2 Tbs. evaporated cane juice
- 1 Tbs whole-grain mustard
- 1 Tbs. prepared horseradish
- 1 tsp. celery seed
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 large red-skinned apple, such as Gala
- 1 large tart green apple, such as Granny Smith
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and halved
- 1 25-oz. jar refrigerated sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
1. To make Dressing: combine all ingredients in jar, cover with lid, and shake to combine.
2. To make Salad: slice apples and onion directly into bowl using mandoline fitted with julienne attachment. Add sauerkraut and Dressing, and toss to combine. Chill at least 1 hour before serving.
October 2012 p.54