Aromatic Brown Jasmine Rice
Seasoned with a hint of Indian
spice, this rice recipe is subtle enough to go with a wide variety of dishes.
- 2 cups uncooked brown jasmine rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp. salt, divided
- 1 Tbs. ghee (clarified butter) or vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1 small onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
1. Combine rice, 3 1/4 cups water, cinnamon stick, and 1/4 tsp. salt in large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer gently 35 minutes, or until rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed.
October 2010 p.64
2. Heat ghee in large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add garlic and garam masala, and heat 15 seconds. Add onion and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt. Reduce heat
to low, and cook 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally. Add peas, and cook 2 minutes more.
3. Remove cinnamon stick from rice. Stir rice into onion mixture, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer to serving dish, and fluff rice with fork.