Artichoke and Celery Root Soup
30 minutes or fewer
This delightful creamy soup
can be served hot or cold. Strain the liquid through a fine mesh sieve for a smoother, more elegant version. You will have about 7 cups of soup when you have finished. Garnish the soup with a sprinkling of the Spiced Almonds
right before serving. You can prepare the almonds several days in advance, and store them in an airtight container. Note that the soup is just as delicious minus the Spiced Almonds garnish.
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 large globe artichokes, 8 to 10 oz. each or enough smaller ones to equal about 3 lb.
- 1 medium-sized celery root, about 1 lb.
- 4 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cups Vegetable Stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- To make Spiced Almonds: Preheat oven to 350F. Place egg white in a bowl, and beat until frothy. Add remaining ingredients, and stir until almonds are coated. Spread out evenly over bottom of a baking dish. Toast, stirring often, until almonds are lightly browned, for 15 to 20 minutes. Cool completely before using.
- To make Artichoke Soup: Remove stems, and snap off all outer leaves from artichokes. Pull out cone of tender inner leaves, and scrape away central choke. Trim away any dark green bits from bottoms. Put artichokes into acidulated water to prevent discoloration. Cut trimmed artichoke hearts into thick slices.
- Trim, peel and halve celery root, and cut halves into thick slices. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, for 3 to 5 minutes. Add artichokes and celery root, and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, for about 3 minutes. Pour in vegetable stock, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat, and cool slightly.
- Put vegetables into a food processor, and, working in batches, pur8Ee until smooth. Return to pan, and pour in cream. Season with salt and pepper, and warm over low heat, taking care not to boil. Ladle soup into warmed bowls, and garnish with Spiced Almonds before serving.
Try a soft, fruity white such as the Joseph Phelps or Kendall Jackson Reserve Sauvignon Blanc. Both are light and delicious and would taste perfect with this savory soup.