Artichoke and Sweet Potato Gratin
Frozen artichoke hearts are superior in taste to canned.
2 tomatoes, one diced and one halved and thinly sliced
2 9-oz. pkg. frozen artichoke hearts, thawed, chopped
1 bunch scallions, chopped, plus extra for garnish
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 ½ tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. salt
1 15.5-oz. can white beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup vegetable stock
½ tsp. black pepper
1 ½ lb. sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced about ⅛-inch thick
¼ cup ground walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly oil 2-qt. gratin dish.
- Toss diced tomatoes with artichoke hearts, scallions, 1 Tbs. olive oil, 1/2 tsp. oregano and 1/4 tsp. salt in bowl. Set aside.
- Put beans, stock, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper in food processor; purée. Line bottom of dish with half sliced sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt and remaining pepper. Spread on bean mixture, add artichoke mixture and cover with potatoes; reserve 20 slices.
- Arrange tomato slices and remaining sweet potato slices on top, overlapping edges. Brush with remaining oil. Sprinkle with remaining oregano and salt. Dust with pepper. Cover.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until tender. Remove cover, and sprinkle top with ground walnuts. Bake 15 minutes more, or until topping is golden brown. Wait 10 minutes before serving.