Artichoke Ragoût with Saffron and Olives
30 minutes or fewer
The secret to cooking with artichokes is to use a light hand when adding seasonings so the unique flavor of the veggie comes through.
- 1 ½ Tbs. olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- ¼ tsp. crushed saffron threads
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 ½ cups white mushrooms, quartered
- 18-oz. pkg. frozen artichoke hearts
- ¼ cup kalamata olives
1. Heat skillet over medium heat. Add oil, then onion and garlic. Sauté 1 to 2 minutes, or until garlic turns gold. Stir in saffron and black pepper.
March 2010 p.58
2. Add bell pepper and wine. Increase heat to medium-high, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until wine is reduced by half. Add tomatoes, and cook 3 minutes more.
3. Stir in mushrooms, artichoke hearts, and 1 cup water, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Remove lid, and cook off any excess moisture, if necessary. Stir in olives, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.