Asparagus and Lemon Spelt Berry Salad
“This was a clean-out-the-fridge-before-the-produce-goes-bad recipe,” says Josie A.G. Shapiro, who lives with her veg husband in San Francisco. “I had to get rid of some asparagus and ended up making a whole dinner out of it!” [You can find preserved lemons at Middle Eastern markets, or make your own using the Preserved Lemons recipe at vegetariantimes.com.]
- 1 cup spelt berries
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb. asparagus, tough stems removed
- 1 preserved lemon, skin only, diced, or 2 Tbs. grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1⁄2 small red onion, diced (⅓ cup)
- 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
1. Cook spelt berries according to package directions. Transfer to large bowl, and set aside to cool. Toss with oil.
2. Steam asparagus 3 to 4 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Remove, and plunge into cold water. Cut into 2-inch pieces, and add to spelt berries. Stir in preserved lemon, lemon juice, and red onion. Fold in feta, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
October 2012 p.10