Autumn Vegetable Roast with Orzo
Fingerling potatoes, cauliflower, celery root, fennel, and kale
are roasted and served with orzo that’s studded with parsley and chickpeas. For a next-day supper of Moroccan-Style Stew, reserve half of the recipe (4 1/2 cups roasted vegetables and 2 cups orzo mixture).
- 1 lb. fingerling potatoes, halved
- 1 lb. cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
- 2 medium onions, thickly sliced (3 cups)
- 8 oz. celery root, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 small fennel bulbs, cut into 1-inch pieces (8 oz.)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (2 Tbs.)
- 2 tsp. Herbes de Provence
- 4 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 12-oz. bunch kale, coarsely chopped
- 1 ½ cups orzo pasta
- ¾ cup cooked or canned chickpeas
- 3 Tbs. finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbs. aged balsamic vinegar
1. Place 1 oven rack in bottom one-third of oven and 1 rack in center of oven, and preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
2. Toss potatoes, cauliflower, onions, celery root, fennel, garlic, and herbes de Provence with 3 Tbs. oil in bowl. Arrange vegetables on prepared baking sheets. Roast 1 hour, stirring occasionally and reversing positions of baking sheets halfway through.
3. Cook kale in large pot of boiling salted water 5 minutes. Drain, and stir kale into vegetable mixture. Roast 5 minutes more.
4. Cook orzo in pot of boiling salted water 5 minutes. Add chickpeas, and cook 2 minutes. Drain, and transfer to bowl. Stir in parsley and remaining 1 Tbs. oil. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve orzo with vegetables, and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
October 2011 p.46