- 4 medium eggplants (2 ½ lb.)
- ⅓ cup tahini
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley, for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to broil. Prick eggplants all over with fork. Place on baking sheet, and broil 15 to 20 minutes, or until skin is blistered and eggplants feel soft to the touch, turning occasionally. Transfer to large bowl, cover with lid; cool 1 hour.
2. Cut eggplants in half lengthwise, and scoop out flesh with spoon into bowl of food processor, adding any juice that accumulated at bottom of large bowl. Add tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and cumin, and purée 2 minutes, or until very smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Chill 2 hours, or up to 3 days.
3. To serve: Spread Baba Ghanoush onto shallow plate. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with parsley.July/August 2011 p.60