Baked Hush Puppies
Makes 24 hush puppies
30 minutes or fewer
Finely ground cornmeal and soft wheat flour (such as White Lily All-Purpose Flour) or cake flour keep these hush puppies tender on the inside.
- 1 ½ cups fine-grind cornmeal or corn flour
- ½ cup soft wheat flour, such as White Lily All-Purpose Flour, or cake flour
- 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. cane sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. salt, plus more for sprinkling, optional
- 1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning, plus
- more for sprinkling, optional
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- ½ large sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla, finely diced (1 cup)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil, for brushing
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, Old Bay, and cayenne in bowl. Whisk together egg and milk in separate bowl. Stir onion into cornmeal mixture, then fold in egg mixture. Shape batter into small balls, and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes. Brush tops with oil, and sprinkle with salt and/or Old Bay (if using). Bake 3 minutes more.
January/February 2013 p.48