Baked Leek and Sweet Potato Gratin
Layers of sautéed leeks lend a milder, sweeter flavor than onions
to this hearty gratin. Just add a salad
to make it a meal.
- 1 ½ Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 3 medium leeks, white and light green parts chopped (6 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh rosemary, divided
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (2 lb.), peeled and cut into ⅛-inch-thick slices
- ⅓ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 Tbs. Italian-seasoned dry breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat 10-inch round casserole dish with cooking spray.
2. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks, garlic, and 11/2 Tbs. rosemary; sauté 8 minutes, or until softened. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Arrange one-third sweet potato slices over bottom of prepared casserole, overlapping slightly. Spread half of leek mixture on top. Arrange another one-third sweet potato slices over leeks; top with remaining leeks, followed by remaining sweet potatoes. Drizzle broth over top, cover pan with foil, and bake 35 minutes.
3. Stir together breadcrumbs, remaining 11/2 tsp. oil, and remaining 11/2 Tbs. rosemary in small bowl. Remove foil from gratin, and sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are browned and crisp. Let gratin cool slightly before cutting into 8 wedges.
January/February 2011 p.50