Baked Onion Rings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp. salt, divided
- ¾ cup tonic water
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 2 medium sweet onions, cut into ½-inch-thick slices
1. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Whisk together flour and 1/2 tsp. salt in bowl. Whisk in tonic water, adding more, if necessary, to make pancake-like batter.
2. Combine breadcrumbs, oil, and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt in shallow bowl.
3. Separate onions into rings. Dip each onion ring into batter, shaking off excess, then dip into breadcrumbs, coating completely. Place on prepared baking sheet, then place baking sheet in freezer 20 minutes to set batter on rings.
4. Preheat oven to 450°F. Bake onion rings 7 to 10 minutes, or until they begin to brown on bottoms. Flip, and bake 7 to 10 minutes more, or until golden. Season with salt, if desired.April/May 2011 p.77