- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 2 small onions, halved and thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 3 tsp. sugar, divided
- 1 pt. brown ale
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 8 vegetarian beer brats or sausages
- 8 hot dog buns
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes, or until they soften and begin to brown. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. sugar, and sauté 3 minutes more, or until onions are golden brown.
2. Stir in 1 cup brown ale, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Stir in remaining 1 cup brown ale, remaining 2 tsp. sugar, salt, and pepper, and 2 cups water. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until onions are very tender and translucent.
3. Prick sausages with fork. Add to beer mixture, and simmer 10 minutes. Serve immediately, or cool in liquid for more flavor, then reheat or grill. Serve well-drained brats in buns, each topped with 2 Tbs. onions, if desired.October 2012 p.52