Makes 1 1/2 cups
Serve this colorful hummus with raw vegetables, such as carrot or celery sticks, red bell pepper, cucumber, or broccoli.
- ½ cup black beluga lentils, rinsed and soaked overnight
- 2 medium beets, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 Tbs. tahini paste
- 2 Tbs. cold-pressed olive oil
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. sea salt
1. Drain and rinse soaked lentils. Bring lentils, beets, and 1 cup water to a boil in medium saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed.
2. Drop garlic into food processor while running to finely chop. Add tahini, oil, lemon juice, zest, and salt; process until creamy. Add lentils and beets, and blend on high until smooth. Season to taste.
June 2013 p.55