Bell Pepper, Olive, and Arugula Salsa
Makes 1 1/2 cups
30 minutes or fewer
A little heat helps bring out the flavors of this Mediterranean-inspired salsa. Serve warm or at room temperature, and prepare just before serving so the arugula retains a bit of crunch.
- 1 ½ Tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds, coarsely crushed
- 2 small bell peppers (1 red and 1 yellow), diced
- 16 pitted Kalamata olives, quartered
- ½ cup packed baby arugula, coarsely chopped
1. Heat oil and fennel seeds in large nonstick skillet over medium heat 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add bell peppers. Sauté 3 to 4 minutes, or until peppers just begin to soften.
2. Scrape bell peppers and oil into medium bowl. Mix in olives. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Let stand 1 to 2 minutes for flavors to meld, stirring occasionally. Add arugula, and toss until arugula is slightly wilted.
July/August 2014 p.44