Biscuits and Gravy
30 minutes or fewer
Trust us, no one will miss the flour (or the meat!) in this gluten-free
- 1 cup white rice flour, plus more for dusting work surface
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- ½ cup potato starch
- 1½ Tbs. sugar
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 2 oz. (½ stick) butter or trans-fat-free margarine, cut into small pieces
- ¾ cup fat-free buttermilk
- 1½ cups cooked chickpeas, or 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2½ tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 4 Tbs. butter or trans-fat-free margarine
- ¼ cup potato starch
- ¼ cup chickpea flour
- 4 cups fat-free milk, warmed
1. To make Biscuits: Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat large baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together rice flour, chickpea flour, potato starch, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in large bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture with pastry blender or two knives until no large pieces remain. Stir in buttermilk.
3. Pat dough into flat 1-inch-thick disk on rice flour–dusted work surface. Cut dough into 16 rounds with 2-inch cutter, and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden-brown on top.
4. To make Gravy: Pulse chickpeas, paprika, poultry seasoning, onion powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne in food processor 8 times, or until crumbly.
5. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add chickpea mixture, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes, or until fragrant and crisp. Transfer to plate.
6. Add butter to skillet, and melt over medium heat. Whisk in potato starch and chickpea flour, and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until sauce is thickened, whisking constantly. Stir in chickpea mixture. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
7. To serve: Place 2 Biscuits on each plate. Ladle 1/4 cup Gravy over top.
April/May 2012 p.46