Bittersweet Blackberry Brownies
These dense, fudgy brownies have a jammy backdrop, and tiny blackberry seeds add a surprisingly pleasant texture. À la mode options include sorbet to bring out the blackberry flavor or a classic vanilla soy ice cream.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Place blackberries in saucepan, cover, and cook 5 minutes over medium heat, or until berries begin to burst. Mash with potato masher, then cook 5 minutes more, or until saucy and thickened.
3. Stir chocolate and coconut oil into berries until chocolate has melted, then remove pan from heat.
4. Transfer berry mixture to large bowl, and cool 20 minutes. Vigorously beat in sugar 1 minute by hand or with electric mixer, until well combined. Stir in vanilla.
5. Sift in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until well combined. Spread batter in prepared baking pan. Bake 18 minutes. (Batter will be puffed but still very soft.) Cool, then refrigerate 1 hour. Slice into 12 brownies, and serve topped with extra fresh berries.