Black Bean Chili with Dark Ale
A slightly sweet, dark beer tempers the acidity of the tomatoes and the spiciness of the chipotle chiles in this easy recipe.
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, drained and minced
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. ground cumin
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (1 ½ cups)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced (5 tsp.)
- 2 14-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 24 oz. dark beer, such as New Belgium 1554
- 1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
Heat oil in 3-qt. pot over medium heat. Add chipotles and cumin; season with salt, if desired. Cook 1 minute, or until fragrant. Stir in onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until vegetables are soft. Stir in beans, beer, tomatoes, and corn. Bring chili to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes, or until thick.
March 2009 p.80