Black-Eyed Pea and Stewed Tomato Salad
Black-eyed peas and stewed tomatoes are a Southern good-luck combo served on New Year’s Day. Here, the juices from a can of prepared stewed tomatoes sweeten and flavor the dressing.
- 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas, or 2 15-oz. cans unseasoned black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- ½ large sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla, finely diced (1 cup)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced (1 cup)
- 3 ribs celery, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1 small green or red bell pepper, finely diced (1 cup)
- 6 green onions, white and green parts thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1 15-oz. can stewed tomatoes
- 2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
1. Combine black-eyed peas, sweet onion, carrots, celery, bell pepper, and green onions in large bowl, and set aside.
2. Drain tomatoes, and place liquid in small saucepan with vinegar, oil, and Cajun seasoning. Coarsely chop tomatoes, and add to black-eyed-pea mixture. Bring tomato-juice-vinegar mixture to a boil, and pour over black-eyed-pea mixture. Stir to coat. Cool, then chill 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
January/February 2013 p.44