Bloody Mary Salsa
Makes 2 cups
This fat-free salsa skips the garlic and cilantro and gets its distinctive flavor from celery, celery leaves, and celery salt. Serve with carrot sticks, cucumber slices, endive leaves, or baked pita chips.
- 1 8-oz. container cherry or grape tomatoes, or 2 large beefsteak tomatoes, cut into quarters
- ½ small onion, coarsely chopped (½ cup)
- 3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped (½ cup), plus 2 Tbs. celery leaves
- ½ cup watercress or arugula leaves
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. prepared horseradish
- ½ tsp. celery salt
- 2–3 drops Tabasco sauce
Place all ingredients in food processor, and pulse until vegetables are chopped and salsa is smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Let stand at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to develop.
April/May 2011 p.64