Blue Cheese, Radicchio, and Fig Sandwiches
30 minutes or fewer
If you can find fresh figs, by all means slice them and substitute for the jam in these sandwiches.
- 3 oz. crumbled blue cheese
- 3 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese
- 8 slices sprouted whole-grain bread
- 8 tsp. melted butter, trans fat–free margarine, or olive oil, divided
- 4 Tbs. fig jam
- 1 cup thinly sliced radicchio or Belgian endive
1. Mash blue cheese and cream cheese together in small bowl, leaving some blue cheese chunks. Set aside.
2. Brush 4 slices bread with half of butter, and set butter side down on baking sheet. Spread each slice with 1 Tbs. jam, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup radicchio. Spread remaining 4 slices bread with blue cheese mixture, and set on top of radicchio. Brush sandwich tops with remaining melted butter.
3. Heat large skillet or griddle over medium-low heat. Cook sandwiches in skillet 4 minutes, or until browned and crisp. Flip, and cook 3 minutes more, or until second side is browned.
October 2013 p.60