Blue Cheese-Topped Mushroom Steaks over Arugula
30 minutes or fewer
Hefty portobello mushrooms
get beautifully tender and juicy on the grill.
- Vegetable oil, for brushing grill
- 3 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- ½ cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 oz. crumbled blue cheese (½ cup)
- 2 Tbs. reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh chives
- 8 cups baby arugula
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1. Brush grill grates with oil, and preheat grill to medium.
2. Whisk together olive oil and vinegar in bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and brush all over mushroom caps. Place caps on grill, and cook 15 to 18 minutes, turning once, or until tender. Transfer to cutting board to cool slightly before slicing.
3. Process garlic in food processor until minced. Add buttermilk, blue cheese, and mayonnaise; process until creamy. Stir in chives.
4. Divide arugula among plates. Top with portobellos, tomatoes, and sauce.
July/August 2011 p.66