This vegan take on an old-fashioned dessert will become a summer favorite. Serve à la mode with soy ice cream, if desired.
- ¾ cup whole-wheat pastry flour or spelt flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 to 6 Tbs. canola oil
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or spelt flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. salt
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9-inch springform pan and wrap bottom with foil.
2. To make Streusel: Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt in bowl. Stir in oil 1 Tbs. at a time until mixture looks crumbly.
3. To make Cake: Sift flours and baking powder into bowl. Whisk syrup, oil, vanilla, and salt in second bowl.
4. Stir syrup mixture into flour mixture. Fold in berries.
5. Spread batter in prepared pan. Sprinkle streusel over top. Bake 1 hour 10 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 30 minutes on wire rack. Cool 15 minutes, unmold, and serve.
July/August 2006 p.64