Bok Choy Skillet Supper
30 minutes or fewer
Bok choy halves are steamed over bulgur as it cooks for a one-pot meal that can go directly from stove to table.
- 2 tsp. garlic-flavored olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced (2 cups)
- 8 cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 shallots, finely chopped (¼ cup)
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 cup mushroom broth
- 1 sprig fresh thyme plus 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves, divided
- 4 small bok choy, halved
1. Heat 1 tsp. garlic oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, and cook 5 minutes, or until browned. Transfer to plate. Add tomatoes to skillet cut-side down, and cook 2 minutes, or until browned. Transfer to plate.
2. Add remaining 1 tsp. garlic oil to skillet. Stir in shallots, and sauté 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in bulgur until grains are coated with oil. Add broth, thyme sprig, and 11/2 cups water; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 5 minutes.
3. Arrange bok choy halves on top of bulgur with leaves pointing outward (like spokes in a wheel). Sprinkle mushrooms and tomatoes between bok choy halves. Cover, and simmer 5 minutes more. Remove from heat, and let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle with thyme leaves, and drizzle with garlic oil.
April/May 2011 p.64