Braised and Raw Black Kale Salad
Chef Aaron London "definitely had gluten-free diners in mind" when he came up with this recipe. "I wanted to make sure it had a variety of textures-fluffy, crunchy, and unctuous. Often when food is missing gluten, it lacks different texture profiles," he explains.
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Spread pine nuts on baking sheet. Toast in oven 10 minutes, or until light brown. Set aside.
2. Heat ¼ cup olive oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until translucent. Add garlic and red pepper flakes; cook 1 minute. Add 12 cups kale, and stir until coated with oil. Stir in ½ cup water, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 1 hour, or until kale is soft.
3. Bring raisins and sherry to a boil in saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook 5 minutes, or until raisins are plumped. Transfer to bowl, and stir in vinegar, 2 Tbs. lemon juice, 2 tsp. lemon zest, remaining ¼ cup olive oil, and pine nuts.
4. Slice remaining 4 cups kale into thin ribbons, and toss with remaining 4 Tbs. lemon juice and 4 tsp. lemon zest in medium bowl.
5. Run knife through cooked kale to slice into bite-size pieces. Transfer to platter, and drizzle with half of pine nut mixture. Top with raw kale ribbons, drizzle with remaining pine nut mixture, and sprinkle with Parmesan, if using.