Breakfast Tacos with Cheesy-Hemp-Scrambled Tofu
30 minutes or fewer
Rich in protein and minerals, these hearty tacos offer a delectable cheesy flavor thanks to the combination of nutritional yeast and hemp’s healthful fats. Allowing guests to assemble their own tacos makes this breakfast extra easy.
- 1 14-oz. pkg. superfirm tofu, drained
- 2 Tbs. tahini
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 ½ tsp. onion powder
- 1 Tbs. coconut oil
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- 12 4 ½-inch organic corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 4 limes, cut into wedges
- Hot sauce for drizzling
1. Mash tofu into scrambled-egg-like crumbles in medium bowl. Stir in tahini, nutritional yeast, and onion powder; season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. Heat coconut oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu mixture, and cook 5 minutes, mixing occasionally. Turn off heat, add hemp seeds to pan, and mix well. Transfer to serving bowl.
3. Generously fill each tortilla with tofu mixture. Serve with bowls of green onions, cilantro, lime wedges, and hot sauce for individual assembly.
June 2013 p.67