Broccoli and Cheese Soup
30 minutes or fewer
The secret ingredient in this soup
is nutritional yeast. This health food store staple has a nutty, fermented flavor that works as a cheese booster in recipes, or can be used to replace cheese altogether in vegan dishes. Try adding 1 to 2 Tbs. nutritional yeast to cream sauces and cheese fillings.
- 2 bunches broccoli, trimmed and coarsely chopped (2 ½ lb.)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 ½ Tbs. nutritional yeast flakes
- ⅛ tsp. ground cumin
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup fat-free half-and-half
- ½ cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
1. Coat 3-qt. saucepan with cooking spray. Cook onion in saucepan over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes, or until softened, stirring occasionally. Add broccoli, vegetable broth, and 2 cups water, and bring to boil. Stir in nutritional yeast, cumin, and nutmeg; reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, 20 minutes, or until broccoli is tender.
2. Working in batches, purée soup in food processor until smooth. Return to saucepan. Stir in half-and-half, and heat over low heat until hot. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Sprinkle each serving with 1 Tbs. cheese.