Broccoli Salad with Raisins and Sunflower Seeds
30 minutes or fewer
Lightly steaming broccoli brightens its color and helps it keep its crunch—even when it’s coated in a creamy dressing, as in this recipe.
- 2 small heads broccoli (12 oz.)
- ⅓ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. agave nectar or sugar
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- ¾ tsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup raisins
- 2 Tbs. roasted, salted sunflower seeds
1. Cut broccoli into small florets. Trim and peel stalks, then slice into matchsticks. Place matchstick pieces in steamer basket over simmering water; steam 2 minutes. Add florets; steam 1 to 2 minutes more, or until crisp-tender. Plunge broccoli in large bowl of cold water to stop cooking; drain well.
April 2010 p.64
2. Whisk together mayonnaise, agave nectar, vinegar, and mustard in bowl. Combine broccoli, onion, and raisins in large bowl; toss with mayonnaise mixture. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and
sprinkle with sunflower seeds.