Broccoli Slaw Salad with Five-Spice Tofu
30 minutes or fewer
This crunchy salad
comes together quickly and can be made in advance. Five-spice pressed tofu and Chinese black vinegar can be found at most Asian grocery stores. Chinese black vinegar, in particular, is worth seeking out for its malty sweet quality.
- 2 Tbs. roasted sesame oil
- 2 Tbs. Chinese black vinegar or 1 Tbs. rice vinegar plus 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. sriracha or any chile-garlic sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 1-lb. pkg. broccoli slaw
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 7 oz. five-spice pressed tofu, sliced into matchsticks
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 green onions, chopped (¼ cup)
- 4 Tbs. chopped roasted peanuts
1. To make Dressing: Whisk together all ingredients in small bowl. Season with salt, if desired.
2. To make Salad: toss together all ingredients with Dressing in large bowl.
November/December 2010 p.32