Broccoli Stir-Fry with Ginger-Avocado Sauce
Makes 4 servings
30 minutes or fewer
This veggie-packed stir-fry is served over a bed of baby spinach and dressed with a creamy ginger-avocado sauce.
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into coins
- 2 avocados
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. cold-pressed olive oil
- 2 tsp. raw honey
- 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 2 pinches sea salt
- 1 Tbs. coconut oil
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced (1 ½ cups)
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp.)
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets (4 cups)
- 1 small head cabbage or 1 bunch kale, sliced into thin ribbons (½ lb.)
- 4 cups organic baby spinach
- ¼ cup lightly toasted sesame seeds, for garnish, optional
1. To make Ginger-Avocado Sauce: Place ginger in food processor, and pulse to mince. Add remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth. Blend in up to 1/2 cup water to thin to desired consistency. Store in refrigerator.
2. To make Stir-Fry: Heat coconut oil in wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and salt; stir-fry 5 minutes, or until onion softens. Add garlic, and cook 2 minutes more. Add broccoli and 1/4 cup water; cover, and steam 3 minutes. Add cabbage; cover, and steam 2 minutes more.
3. Place 1 cup spinach on plate. Top with 1 cup broccoli mixture, and drizzle with 2 Tbs. Ginger-Avocado Sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds (if using).
June 2013 p.55