Brown-Braised Fingerling Potatoes
30 minutes or fewer
For this recipe, choose fingerlings that are all about the same thickness so they cook evenly.
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ⅓ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme, divided
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 14 oz. fingerling potatoes, halved
- 1 shallot, sliced lengthwise into 8 pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
1. Combine wine and broth in measuring cup. Heat 1 1/2 Tbs. oil and 1 1/2 tsp. butter in 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp. thyme and salt over bottom of pan. Arrange potato halves (cut-side down) and shallot in skillet. Partially cover, and cook 6 minutes, or until potatoes are browned.
2. Add wine mixture, and simmer, partially covered, 7 minutes (brown bits should loosen on their own). Add garlic, remaining 1 1/2 tsp. oil, 1 1/2 tsp. butter, and 1/2 tsp. thyme, and cook 1 minute. Garnish with remaining 1 tsp. thyme.
October 2011 p.77