Bruschetta with Quick-Roasted Beets and Garlic-Wilted Beet Greens
This appetizer tastes best served slightly warm or at room temperature. If using multicolored beets, toss each type separately with oil and keep separate when roasting so colors don’t bleed.
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Line two large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove greens from beets, discard stems, and tear leaves into pieces.
2. Slice beets 1/4-inch thick, and toss with 2 Tbs. oil; season with salt, if desired. Arrange beets in single layer on prepared baking sheets. Roast beets 14 to 16 minutes, or until glistening. Cool on pans.
3. Mash goat cheese, milk, chopped thyme, and 1/2 tsp. lemon zest in medium bowl.
4. Combine remaining 1/2 tsp. zest with 1/2 tsp. garlic and 1 Tbs. oil in small bowl.
5. Heat remaining 2 tsp. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add remaining 1 tsp. garlic, and cook 30 seconds. Add beet greens, and cook 1 minute, tossing with tongs. Transfer greens to plate, and make 6 small piles for easier assembly.
6. Increase oven heat to broil. Arrange ciabatta slices on baking sheet, and brush with lemon-garlic oil. Broil 90 seconds, or until golden. Flip, and broil 1 minute more.
7. Spread 1 tsp. goat cheese mixture over each bread slice, then top each with 1 pile of greens. Smear another small dollop of goat cheese atop greens, then top with 3 or 4 overlapping beet slices, and drizzle with lemon-garlic oil. Sprinkle with thyme leaves.