Brussels Sprouts, Radicchio, and Pickled Red Onion Salad
Leftover pickled onions
will keep a few days in the fridge, so make extra, and use them on grilled cheese sandwiches or chopped in deviled eggs.
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ large red onion, very thinly sliced (from root end to top, not horizontally into half circles)
- ¾ lb. medium Brussels sprouts, quartered lengthwise
- 1 ⅔ cups coarsely chopped radicchio (about three-quarters of 1 large head)
- 2 ½ oz. coarsely crumbled Maytag blue cheese
- 1 ½ Tbs. olive oil
1. Stir vinegar, 1/2 cup water, sugar, salt, and pepper in bowl until sugar and salt dissolve. Mix in onion, and press down to submerge. Let stand 45 minutes, checking to be sure onion stays submerged.
2. Steam Brussels sprouts in steamer or on rack over boiling water 6 to 8 minutes, or until just tender. Lift out rack, and cool.
3. Place Brussels sprouts in large bowl, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Drain onion slices, and discard brine. Add onion slices to Brussels sprouts along with radicchio, blue cheese, and oil, and toss to combine.
December 2012 p.49