Buckwheat Stir-Fry with Tiny Vegetables and Eggs
30 minutes or fewer
Cooked buckwheat stands in nicely for rice in this riff on fried rice.
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice, plus 4 small lime wedges
- 2 tsp. gluten-free tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tsp. gluten-free teriyaki sauce, such as Kikkoman
- 1 ½ tsp. brown sugar
- ¼–½ tsp. chile-garlic sauce
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 ½ cups sugar snap peas, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 cup small (1-inch) cauliflower florets
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced, divided
- 3 cups cold cooked buckwheat groats (1 cup uncooked)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro, optional
1. To make Sauce: Combine lime juice, tamari, teriyaki sauce, brown sugar, chile-garlic sauce, and 1 Tbs. water in bowl.
2. To make Stir-Fry: Heat oil in wok over medium-high heat. Add onion, snap peas, cauliflower, and salt; increase heat to high, and stir-fry 3 minutes, or until veggies are lightly browned. Add garlic, ginger, and half of green onions. Stir-fry 30 seconds. Add buckwheat, and season with salt, if desired. Stir-fry 2 minutes, or until buckwheat is slightly toasted (you will hear it crackle in pan).
3. Push grains aside, and pour eggs into clear spot in pan. Stir-fry until eggs are set. Remove pan from heat, and stir in Sauce and cilantro (if using). Garnish with remaining green onions.
October 2012 p.78