Bulgur Salad with Edamame and Kumquats
30 minutes or fewer
Mint and kumquats lend a spring feel to a colorful bulgur salad. If you can’t find kumquats, dried apricots provide the same sweet-tart element.
- ½ cup bulgur
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. finely grated orange zest
- 1½ Tbs. orange juice
- 1½ Tbs. olive oil
- 1½ Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- 1½ Tbs. chopped fresh mint
- ⅔ cup cooked, shelled edamame
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 4 kumquats, seeded and sliced, or ⅓ cup diced dried apricots
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbs. pumpkin seeds
1. Pour 1 cup boiling water over bulgur in bowl. Cover, and let stand 10 minutes. Drain in strainer, pressing out excess liquid with back of spoon. Return bulgur to bowl, and cool 5 minutes.
2. Stir lemon juice, orange zest, orange juice, oil, parsley, mint, edamame, carrot, kumquats, and radishes into bulgur. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and divide between two containers. Top each salad with pumpkin seeds. Refrigerate overnight.
March 2014 p.58