Buttermilk Pie with Fresh Strawberries
This Southern specialty tastes like a lemony-cream custard tart. Its perfect with the first fresh strawberries of the season. For the best flavor, buy whole nutmeg and freshly grate it. Feel free to substitute a store-bought graham cracker crust.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup minus 2 Tbs. sugar
- 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp. grated or ground nutmeg
- 1 9-inch store-bought crust
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled and halved
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Whisk together eggs, sugar and flour in large bowl. Add buttermilk and butter, and whisk until combined. Stir in vanilla extract and nutmeg. Pour buttermilk mixture into crust, and bake 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool completely.
3. Place strawberry halves in concentric circles on top of pie, with wide stem ends facing outward, and serve.