Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Couscous
30 minutes or fewer
Prepared creamy soups like butternut squash, corn, and potato-leek make great bases for hearty stews that sneak an extra veggie serving past picky eaters.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, diced (¾ cup)
- 1 small onion, diced (1 cup)
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped (½ cup)
- 1 Tbs. whole cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 2 16-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 32-oz. container butternut squash soup, divided
- 1 ½ cups couscous
1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Sauté carrot in oil 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened. Add onion and bell pepper, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes more, or until soft. Stir in cumin seeds and bay leaf.
2. Purée 3/4 cup chickpeas and 3/4 cup butternut squash soup in blender until smooth. Add to carrot mixture along with remaining chickpeas and soup. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Meanwhile, place couscous in heat-proof bowl, and stir in 1 1/2 cups boiling water. Cover, and let stand 3 to 5 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Fluff couscous with fork. Divide couscous among 6 shallow bowls. Ladle chickpea stew around couscous in each bowl.