This very popular salad
can often become a caloric trap to the unwary—and usually isn't vegetarian because of anchovies in the dressing. This version strips away unwanted calories and fat, yet retains a full flavor.
- 1 day-old, nonfat baguette, preferably whole wheat, cut in 3/8-inch dice
- ½ cup soft tofu
- ¼ tsp. honey
- 2 Tbs. grated Parmesan-style soy cheese
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. chopped capers
- Salt to taste
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, heart and tender leaves, washed, dried and chopped into bite-size pieces
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Place diced baguette on baking sheet, and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
3. Place tofu, honey, soy cheese, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, garlic and capers in blender or food processor, and process. Season with salt and pepper.
4. To assemble salad, place lettuce in salad bowl. Add 1/4 cup croutons and half of dressing. Toss well to coat leaves evenly with dressing. Garnish with another 1/4 cup croutons. Serve immediately.