Cajun Cauliflower Hash
30 minutes or fewer
Serve this hash for breakfast or brunch as a low-calorie twist on a classic dish. Make a day ahead, and reheat when ready to serve.
- 1 ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 2 cups diced cauliflower florets (8 oz.)
- 1 celery stalk, diced (¼ cup)
- 1 cup frozen hash brown potatoes (not patties)
- ¾ cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 Tbs. chopped parsley
1. Combine chili powder, thyme, salt, and pepper in small dish. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 3 to 4 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Add chili powder mixture, and cook 30 seconds.
3. Add cauliflower, celery, and 1/3 cup water. Cover, and cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add potatoes and bell pepper. Cover, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until cauliflower is crisp-tender. Add 2 to 3 Tbs. water during cooking if mixture becomes dry. Remove from heat. Stir in parsley, and serve.
September 2010 p.75