Cajun Scrambled Chickpeas with Zucchini
30 minutes or fewer
Lightly mashed chickpeas make a delicious scramble with satisfying texture.
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas, or 1 24-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced (1½ cups)
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into thin half-moons (1½ cups)
- 1 Tbs. Cajun spice blend, or more to taste
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
1. Mash chickpeas in medium bowl with fork.
2. Coat large skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes. Add zucchini, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in chickpeas, Cajun spice, and thyme. Cook 5 minutes, adding up to 1/4 cup water if mixture seems too dry. Serve garnished with sprinkling of thyme.
April/May 2014 p.54