To make your own applesauce for the ice cream in this recipe, simmer peeled, cored apple quarters with a little water until soft.
- 1½ cups macadamia nuts, chopped
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 Tbs. agave nectar
- 9 oz. silken firm tofu
- 1½ cups plain soymilk
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 Tbs. creamy peanut butter
- ¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped from pod
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and finely diced
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1½ tsp. lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
1. To make Praline: Combine nuts, sugar, and 1 Tbs. water in saucepan. Bring to a boil, and simmer 10 minutes, or until sugar is caramelized, swirling occasionally. Stir in agave nectar. Spread on parchment-lined baking sheet, and bake 10 minutes. Cool, and crumble.
2. To make Apple Ice Cream: Purée tofu in food processor until smooth. Add remaining ingredients, and purée until smooth. Churn in ice cream maker. Spread in rectangular baking pan, press Praline over top, and freeze until firm.
3. To make Candied Apples: Combine all ingredients and 2 Tbs. water in saucepan. Simmer 5 to 7 minutes, or until apples have softened. Cool.
4. Cut Apple Ice Cream into 8 rounds with round cookie cutter, and place on plates. Spoon Candied Apples on top and around sides.