Candy Cane Chocolate Mousse
30 minutes or fewer
Crushed candy canes give this easy dessert a festive feel. Because the rich flavor comes from the chocolate, choose a high-quality dark chocolate with at least 55 percent cocoa
- 6 oz. dark or bittersweet chocolate (1 cup chips)
- ¼ cup low-fat milk
- 1 Tbs. butter or soy margarine
- ½ tsp. peppermint extract
- ¾ cup pasteurized egg whites, or 6 egg whites
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- ½ cup crushed candy canes or Starlight mints
1. Heat chocolate, milk, and butter in large metal bowl placed over pot of simmering water until chocolate is melted and mixture smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in peppermint extract.
2. Meanwhile, beat egg whites and salt with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add sugar, and beat until stiff peaks form.
3. Stir 1 cup egg-white mixture into chocolate mixture until smooth. Fold remaining egg-white mixture into chocolate mixture with spatula until no white streaks remain. Divide among 8 custard cups or ramekins, and place in freezer 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle each serving with 1 Tbs. crushed candy canes just before serving.