Caramelized Okra and Corn with Coconut, Mint, and Lime
Roasting brings out okra’s natural sweetness while searing away its sliminess. Okra’s grassy flavor is enhanced with summer corn and coconut in this Thai-inspired side dish. To give the combination more of a spicy kick, toss the vegetables with a squeeze or two of sriracha hot sauce when adding the lime juice.
- 1 lb. okra, sliced (5 cups)
- 4 cups fresh corn (from 4 ears)
- 1½ Tbs. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice (½ lime)
- ⅓ cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- 1 Tbs. fresh chopped mint
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Toss together okra, corn, coconut oil, brown sugar, and salt in large bowl. Spread in single layer on baking sheet, and bake 30 minutes, or until okra and corn begin to brown and caramelize, stirring occasionally.
3. Toss hot vegetables with lime juice, toasted coconut, and chopped mint in bowl. Serve warm.
June 2014 p.59